Focus Investments are "the concentration of resources directly related to achieving one or more of your Goals and thus of improving your position with the Field of Play." Since resources are limited, wise Focus Investment means making choices from among a wide array of activities that could be performed, and all of which might have good arguments in their favor. Every resource allocation, therefore, is a resource competition. A Focus Investment should have the following attributes: minimum risk and a continual long-term payoff. With the information gathered under Situation Appraisal, utilize the following questions with the five elements to evaluate your Focus Investments.
Some questions to use to help describe your Focus Investments:
- In order to accomplish our Goals, on what Strategic players do when need to focus our time and efforts?
- In the Field of Play we're looking at, are there specific processes that are "broken" or in need of expert intervention? Which of our Strengths might be leveraged against these processes?
- Do any of the Trends in the Field of Play's environment suggest an investment that might help to enhance our position?
- Of the Opportunities we've identified for this Field of Play, which ones most warrant Focus Investment because of their long-term payoff potential? Which of our Strengths might best address these Opportunities?
- Is there an area in which a focused investment of our resources might help to neutralize or reduce the impact of our Vulnerability?
- Are the investments we're already making in the account worthwhile? Has the Large account confirmed that they're bringing it value?
Fig. 40, Goal Detail Panel
When you click on Go To Goal from the Goal Description section, the Goal panel will open and allow you to enter data for Focus Investments, Stop Investments, Sales Support Programs, Information Needed and Activity.
To add a Focus Investment:
Fig. 40a, Goal Detail- Focus Investments
The following are descriptions of the fields in this dialog:
Description - the text description of the Focus Investment. If the Repository icon is available, you may choose from a list of suggested Focus Investments. Make your selection and then click Done.
Contact - an Account contact who may have input on the Focus Investment
When - the date the Focus Investment item was created
Assigned To - the person within your organization that will be responsible for the Focus Investment item
Completed - the date the Focus Investment item was completed
Status - the status of the Focus Investment item. The values of this field may vary according to your SAM installation. Simply select the radio button next to the Status you want to enter.
Type - the priority of the Focus Investment item. The values of this field may vary according to your SAM installation. Simply select the radio button next to the Type you want to enter.
- 2. Click in the Description field to type a description of the Focus Investment.
- 3. To assign a Contact, click the Search icon in the Contact field and do one of the following:
If the desired name does not appear in the list, select the Search tab and proceed to step 5.
If the desired name appears in the list, select the name and proceed to step 7.
Fig. 40b, Contact Search
5. Type the desired search criteria in the First Name, Last Name, or Account field and click Go.
6. From the list of items that match the search criteria, select the desired contact to populate the Contact field.
7. Complete the other fields as desired.
8. When you have completed entering the desired data, click Done to save and close the section or click on the Add icon to add another Focus Investment.
To delete a Focus Investment:
In the Goal's Detail Panel, click the desired Focus Investment and click the Trash Can icon. A message box appears asking you to confirm the deletion.
Click Yes to delete or No/Cancel to cancel.
To edit an existing Focus Investment:
In the Goal's Detail Panel, click in the entry and edit the text inline. Click Done when you have completed.
To enter a date for When and Completed:
In the section you are editing, click on the calendar icon next to When or Completed. This will open a calendar tool that allows you to select the date.
Fig. 40c, Calendar icons
Fig. 40d, Calendar tool
Click the X to the right of the calendar when you have selected the date. The date will appear in the text field.
© 2016 Miller Heiman Group. All rights reserved.